Beginning Open Water Certification
WARNING- flying weightless while breathing under water is extremely addicting!
The Meek shall inherit the Earth, but the Brave get the Sea.
Scuba Diving is on many peoples wish list. If you’ve always wanted to take scuba diving lessons, experience new adventures, build new memories, scuba dive at exotic destinations, make life long diving friends and have a ton of fun - you came to the right scuba center as this is where it all starts!
Get your scuba diving certification with the PADI Open Water Diver course – the world’s most popular and widely recognized scuba course. At Coral Key, we don't want to just train you, we will help you love it as we do! No prior experience with scuba diving is required!
Why Coral Key for your PADI Scuba Dive Training?
- Ask any diver you know - Do you still use or remember how to use the “dive tables”? Nope & Nope! As dive professionals, we don't use the RDP (Recreational Dive Planner) aka "dive tables" when we dive, so why would we expect you to use them? Short answer - We don’t! All of our equipment rentals have easy to use dive computers on them, which means our students will learn how to use a dive computer from day one. Many shops don't use dive computers in training - they still teach the RDP. Why? Simply put, dive computers are an additional expense for rental units, and they take a beating during training. Computers have become a standard piece of equipment for today’s scuba divers, so we feel a new diver should learn how to use and understand this essential but uncomplicated piece of equipment from the start. We won't compromise your scuba training to save a few bucks - People over profit. Done!
- Buoyancy is one of the most important skills to learn for your safety, enjoyment & confidence. And it helps protect you and the reefs! As a beginning diver, it takes practice to master buoyancy control. For this reason, our training includes the PADI Peak Performance Buoyancy training. This is a completely separate scuba course that you have available at your convenience for free after you complete the Open Water training. It is a full course including your certification card and professional instructor-led pool sessions. Just another way we train the best and safer divers out there!
- 10 years of age or older (Kids ages 10 to 15 must have parent/guardian present.)
- Basic swimming ability - Students complete a continuous 200 yard swim or 300 yard swim with mask, snorkel & fins and 10 minute tread/float
- Completion of all eLearning assignments before the start of class
- Completion of Medical form - If you answer "YES" to any of the medical question you MUST have a signed doctors release before the start of the course
Getting Started – Register and Complete PADI e-Learning
Register for PADI Open Water eLearning to get started with your online training TODAY! All course materials are presented in an interactive online environment including plenty of graphics, video, and knowledge reviews. Students complete all reviews and exams online, decreasing the amount of time needed in a classroom.
CLICK HERE to purchase/register for eLearning and get started today. ($185 course fee paid directly to PADI)
Step 1: Classroom Instruction and Pool Instruction
Select the class and pool schedule that meets your needs. Never fear, private courses are always available; please give us a call with any questions. (Additional fees apply with private courses.)
Classroom Instruction - Students receive personal instruction from a professional PADI instructor and receive a class introduction, take a Quick Review quiz, get an introduction to dive computers and get fitted for equipment.
Pool Dives - Students learn the basic scuba diving techniques that make your diving experience safe and enjoyable. This portion of the course gives confidence with scuba equipment and the ability to perform basic skills to become a safe diver.
Step 2: Certification Dives
The student divers make 4 dives over 2 days in Open Water, performing the same skills practiced during pool dives.
Certification Dive Options & Locations
Local (Coral Sea) - Join us during the summer months at Coral Key's OWN private lake, the Coral Sea, less than 5 minutes from our store.
Blue Hole (NM) - Join us during the winter months in Santa Rosa, New Mexico, approximately 5.5 hours from Denver. (Additional $50 to the package price, and you must provide your own transportation, lodging and meals.)
Group Trip - Come join us on one of our instructor-lead, exotic diving vacations offered year around. This option provides a great opportunity to meet other divers of all backgrounds and skill levels and train in the best of conditions.
Referral Packet - This kit contains everything needed to complete your open water certification dives through another PADI facility. Let us arrange your certification dives with the dive operation at your travel destination. There will be additional cost payable to the facility you choose for completing your dives. We will also reward you $75 of credit towards your next dive class with us.
- Step 1 - Classroom Instruction and Pool Dives
- Step 2 - Certification Dives
- PADI Certification Card
- Rental Scuba Equipment, except personal gear: Mask, Fins, Snorkel (may be rented for additional cost) and Booties
- DAN Student Membership info
- Coral Key Exclusive Bonus: Peak Performance Buoyancy course after the completion of the Open Water Course ($115 Value)!
You Will Need:
- PADI eLearning
- Personal Gear - Mask, Fins, Snorkel (may be rented), Booties
- Lake User Fee / Park Pass
- Transportation of gear and student
- Please understand that scheduling is important and has rippling effects if you change dates. Changing course dates within 10 days prior to the start of the original course will result in a $50 transfer fee, added to your course cost.
- Prices are listed as per person and do not include personal gear such as Mask, Fins & Snorkel (may be rented) & Booties.
- Blue Hole or Crater certification dive locations are an additional cost of $50, require a minimum of 6 students and does not include transportation, lodging, or meals.
- 2018 eLearning cost: $185 paid directly to PADI by the student for the eLearning online course
- All Chapters/Modules of the Student Materials MUST be completed prior to the first class
- If you answer 'Yes' to any of the medical questions, you MUST have a signed medical release before the first class.